History

In the midst of economic uncertainty in 1935, W. A. Trahan established his funeral service to the Bay Area on the southwest corner of Madison and Tenths Streets. While residential homes were converted and used as funeral homes, Mr. Trahan built the first funeral chapel of its kind in Bay County at its current location. The goal, then and now, is to provide all families of the community with the most comfortable and convenient facilities in a one-floor, multi-chapel building with no stairs making it accessible to all. From its very inception, the W. A. Trahan Funeral Chapel has been committed to the philosophy of providing the best service possible 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week to every family of every faith who calls regardless of their economic situation. In 1945, Trahan’s Ambulance Service provided emergency and transfer service to the Bay Area but later was integrated with McLaren-Bay Region. In addition, W. A. Trahan served the residents of Bay County faithfully as coroner for twenty years.

The successful transition to second generation ownership and management was accomplished in the 1970’s when Wm. J. Trahan and Mark A. Trahan, sons of the founder became the chief officers of the corporation. They are proud of the fact that they have remained locally owned and managed by the same Trahan Family for over 80 years while some funeral homes have been forced to sell-out or merge in order to survive. Since 1974, Trahan Memorials has been helping area families select cemetery monuments and markers direct from quarry from a wide variety of designs and materials. Together in 1988, they established the Trahan Prearrangement Center to offer funeral preplanning with No-Payment and Pre-Payment options, guaranteed price plans, and nursing home (Medicaid-approved) plans.

 

A significant achievement over the past 80 years has been that the Trahan Chapel has increased the number of families served in the community due to their quality of service, with a sensitivity to cost. The number of people employed has also increased including four licensed morticians, clerical staff, and family service personnel. Facilities and equipment have been steadily upgraded to meet the demands of the changing times. The facility was expanded in 1950, in 1963, and totally remodeled in 1994. Design improvements with expanded parking lot, professional landscaping, and new interior appointments are an on-going process. The entire building is now completely WiFi-enabled, with an enhanced computer system, and state of the art sound system. All areas have been carefully planned to insure they are ALL ON ONE LEVEL, WITH NO STAIRS TO CLIMB. These improvements were acknowledged by the Bay Area Chamber of Commerce with the presentation of the “Brick Award”.

 

As Bay Area natives, both Bill and Mark believe in the family tradition of “providing the best possible service to the Great Lakes Bay Region”. Their professional service and commitment to the community continues today and tomorrow through local ownership and management. They are proud to have been selected in the Bay City Times Readers’ Poll as “the first choice funeral home” by area families.

SERVING THE FAMILIES OF:
Bay City, Essexville, Hampton Township, Bangor Township, Williams Township, Munger, Portsmouth Township, Merritt Township, Kawkawlin, Linwood, Pinconning, Reese, Auburn, Saginaw, Midland, Fairgrove, and Wisner Township.

256 N. Madison Avenue  Bay City, MI 48708  Phone: 989-893-6583

© Trahan Funeral Chapel & Prearrangement Center | Bay City, MI - Funeral Home Website Design By Frazer Consultants